July 27, 2016

Flight of the Pelikan/Drawing like Paul Klee.

Maybe you remember the series of blog posts, back in 2014, How to draw/paint like Paul Klee. I'd found the notebook about which I'd once written:
I have a notebook of drawings/writings done at a big Paul Klee show, done in London in about 2003, just before starting this blog. I'd like to copy the pages and blog it. I was analyzing/riffing on the... ideas that he used.

Wonder where I put that.
And I did a series of posts about what were really instructions based on particular works, including Lesson 7, which included: "using a single line lazy eight movement, make a tree in the center w/ suitable background." If I look back at the post now, I can see the actual Paul Klee work that led me to write that, but today, as I was sitting at the café with the old notebook, I saw only the instructions, and I loosely took the instructions to heart as I idly worked my new Pelikan pen into the pages of the old, old notebook as we carried on an elaborate conversation:

IMG_1192

IMG_1194

Does that seem absurdly unconnected to the instructions? First, those are efforts ##2 and 3. Here's #1:

IMG_1195

Second, it really doesn't matter whether the instructions are followed. This is not a test. It's just an inhibition killer, a way to jump start. Nothing matters, not even whether you like the results. It's only a pen journey, a Pelikan flight.

11 comments:

Karen said...

You are a master of mark making and a whiz at drawing, too!

D. said...

time for a new line of work?

David Begley said...

AA

You should sell those drawings. On Amazon. Use the Althouse portal.

Unknown said...

really like these.

MikeD said...

Professor, I almost always love your "art" posts, whether your student days or current photography days. That said, I flunked freshman art appreciation in 1960. Having to support myself I went to work in 1961 at a lumber mill in Chester, CA, population less than 1K. Intro over, while there I found a book at the Plumas County Public Library that's stayed with me for over half a Century!
https://vincentpricejournal.wordpress.com/i-like-what-i-know-a-visual-autobiography-by-vincent-price-1959/

Laslo Spatula said...

I agree with everything Betamax3000 wrote in the earlier Klee posts.

I am Laslo.

Laslo Spatula said...

Klee was Picasso with less Ego and more ________.

I know the Word.

I am Laslo.

Chas S. Clifton said...

We have the same pen. No wonder I like your blog!

Anonymous said...

You've got a real MC Escher thing going on. It's wonderful to look at.

Bad Lieutenant said...

I'd like to see you draw a map, say of Madison or Wisconsin or UW, in the style of JRR Tolkien.

Anonymous said...

Well done! Which journal is that?